State-Wise List of GI Tags in India 2022
List of Geographical Indication (GI) Tags in Kerala 2022 is available here!!! In this article, we are sharing the State-Wise List of GI Tags in India 2022. This post is very important from an exam point of view especially for Banking exams i.e. IBPS PO, SBI PO, RBI Assistant, RBI Grade B, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC GD Constable, SSC MTS, RRB Group D, RRB NTPC Exams. State-Wise geographical indication (GI) in India is an integral part of the GK and Current Affairs section.
As we all know that the general awareness section plays an important role in Competitive Exam, 1-2 questions are asked from State-Wise List of GI Tags in India in almost all the exams. In this post we are providing you the List of GI Tag in Kerala 2022 issued recently and notes on the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999. The GI tags allotted to the handicraft, agricultural, food or manufactured products are listed down below state-wise:
List of GI Tag in Kerala
|S. No||Geographical Indication||Goods-As per Sec 2 (f) of GI Act 1999|
|3.||Balaramapuram Sarees and Fine Cotton Fabrics||Handicraft|
|4.||Brass broidered coconut shell craft of Kerala||Handicraft|
|5.||Cannanore Home Furnishings||Handicraft|
|6.||Central Travancore Jaggery||Agricultural|
|7.||Chendamangalam Dhoties & Set Mundu||Handicraft|
|10.||Kuthampally dhoties and set mundu||Clothing|
|11.||Maddalam of Palakkad||Handicraft|
|12.||Payyannur Pavithra Ring||Handicraft|
|14.||Screw Pine Craft of Kerala||Handicraft|
|16.||Wayanad Gandhakasala Rice||Agriculture|
|17.||Wayanad Jeerakasala Rice||Agriculture|
|18.||Navara rice Agricultural||Agriculture|
|19.||Palakkadan Matta Rice||Agriculture|
|20.||Spices Alleppey Green Cardamom||Agriculture|
|22.||Monsooned Malabar Arabica Coffee||Agriculture|
|23.||Monsooned Malabar Robusta Coffee||Agriculture|
|26.||Maddalam of Palakkad Logo||Handicraft|
|27.||Brass Broidered Coconut Shell Craft Logo||Handicraft|
|28.||Screw Pinecraft of Kerala Logo||Handicraft|
|30.||Wayanad Robusta Coffee||Agricultural|
|31.||Marayoor Jaggery( Marayoor Sharkara)||Agricultural|
|32.||Tirur Betel Leaf( Tirur Vettila)||Agricultural|
|32.||Alleppey Green Cardamom||Agricultural|
|33.||Kuttiattoor Mango (Kuttiattoor Manga)||Agricultural|
Geographical Indication (GI) Tags
A geographical indication (GI) is a sign used on products having a particular geographical origin and having qualities or a reputation due to that origin. You might have heard about copyright, patent, trademark, etc. which are rights of intellectual property. Geographical Indication Tag provides holders with similar rights and protection. The World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) governs the Geographical Indications in the World. Under Article 22 (1) of the agreement, the term ‘Geographical Indication’ has been defined. Geographical Indication (GI) Tags are given to a wide range of products falling under the following categories-
- Agriculture products
- Natural products
- Manufactured items
- Food stuffs
Using Geographical Indications may be regarded as a certification that the particular product is produced as per traditional methods, has certain specific qualities, or has a particular reputation because of its geographical origin. GI Tag ensures that none other than those registered as authorized users are allowed to use the popular product name. In order to function as a GI, a sign must identify a product as originating in a given place. Geographical indications are mostly traditional products, produced by rural communities over generations that have gained prominence on the markets for their precise qualities.
Important Notes on Geographical Indications (GI) tags in India
- GI tag is the abbreviation of Geographical Indications tags in India. It came into force with effect from 15th September 2003.
- A geographical indication (GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- Such a name conveys an assurance of quality and distinctiveness which is essentially attributable to its origin in that defined geographical locality.
- The products which are given the Geographical Indication tag in India are regarded as the invaluable treasures of incredible India.
- This tag is valid for a period of 10 years following which it can be renewed.
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry had launched the logo and tagline for the Geographical Indications (GI) of India.
- The first product to get a GI tag in India was the Darjeeling tea in 2004.
- Till now around 410 products have been added to the GI list.
- The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 (GI Act) is a sui generis Act for the protection of GI in India.
- India, as a member of the WTO, enacted the Act to comply with the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights.
- Geographical Indications protection is granted through the TRIPS Agreement.
- This tag is issued by the Geographical Indication Registry under the Department of Industry Promotion and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Geographical indications are typically used for agricultural products, foodstuffs, wine and spirit drinks, handicrafts, and industrial products.
- The Gucchi mushroom, one of the most expensive mushrooms in the world, from the state of Jammu and Kashmir was recently given the GI tag in India.